We are working in 12 Arab countries with 9 national networks (with an extended membership of 250 CSOs from different backgrounds) and 23 NGO members.
The Arab NGO Network for Development and Issam Fares Institute for Public Policy and International Affairs, with the support of the United Nations Development Fund and in collaboration with the Lebanese Transparency Association, Mouvement Social, Lebanese Trade Union Training Center, and the Lebanese Observatory for the Rights of Workers and Employees cordially invite you to a Conference:
National Dialogues on the Implementation of Agenda 2030 for Sustainable Development in Lebanon
April 4th and 5th, 2017
Issam Fares Institute
Confernce room (4th floor)
AUB (Green Oval)
The national level dialogues on the implementation of the Agenda 2030 for Sustainable Development in Lebanon aim to raise further awareness of the Agenda at the national level, bring together key stakeholders to exchange opinions and views regarding the Agenda, identify gaps and challenges in Agenda implementation, and to propose solutions to these challenges. The dialogues will also discuss the National Report, a comprehensive national assessment that reflects on the implementation of Agenda 2030 in Lebanon and on socio-economic reform initiatives. The dialogue will focus on select sustainable development goals 1: No poverty, 8: Decent work and economic growth, 10: Reduced inequalities, and 16: Peace, justice, and strong institutions.
All dialogues will include a presentation from the National Report by Dr. Nasser Yassin of the Issam Fares Institute and members of the ANND team. Presentations will be followed by a discussion with key stakeholders.
14:30 – 17:00 Dialogue One: End Poverty
- Review of poverty definitions and national indicators
- Social protection systems and measures on the national level
- Ensuring the enjoyment of men and women of the same rights to access economic resources
- Resource mobilization and drafting proper policy frameworks on the national, regional, and international levels, based on pro-poor and gender-based development strategies
9:00 – 12:00 Dialogue Two: Decent Work and Economic Growth
- Economic growth, human development, labor, and informal labor indicators in Lebanon
- Development-oriented policies that support productive activities
- Achieving full and productive workforce and providing decent work for all women and men
- Protection of workers’ rights and promotion of a safe work environment for all, including migrant workers and workers in unstable jobs
12:30 – 15:00 Dialogue Three: Reducing Inequalities
- Social, economic, and political inclusion for all, regardless of age, sex, ability, race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, economic situation, and others
- Ensuring equal opportunities and reducing inequalities in outcomes, including through removing discriminatory laws, policies, and practices; strengthening appropriate legislation, policies, and procedures
- Adopting policies, especially financial policies and policies related to wages and social protection; gradually achieving the highest level of equality
15:30 – 18:00 Dialogue Four: Peace, Justice, and Institutions
- Strengthening the rule of law on the national and international levels, ensuring equal opportunities and access to justice for all
- Radical reduction of corruption and bribery in all their forms
- Ensuring the public’s access to information and protection of basic freedoms, based on national legislation and international agreements
This event is supported by the United Nations Democracy Fund.