We are working in 12 Arab countries with 9 national networks (with an extended membership of 250 CSOs from different backgrounds) and 23 NGO members.
The Arab NGO Network for Development (ANND) is a regional network, working in 12 Arab countries with nine national networks (with an extended membership of 250 CSOs from different backgrounds) and 23 NGO members. ANND was established in 1997 and its headquarters is located in Beirut, Lebanon since 2000.
ANND aims at strengthening the role of civil society, enhancing the values of democracy, respect of human rights and sustainable development in the region. ANND advocates for more sound and effective socio-economic reforms in the region, which integrate the concepts of sustainable development, gender justice, and the rights-based approach.
The network programs cover three main areas:
1. Development Policies in the region
2. Social and economic reform agendas and the role of international and regional organizations.
3. Economic and trade liberalization policies and its social and economic implications
On a horizontal level, ANND addresses issues of peace and security in the region.
The objectives of the program interventions are:
1. Enhancing and strengthening civil society advocacy on social and economic policy-making processes.
2. Opening channels of influence for civil society organizations in the Arab region in policy-making processes on the national, regional and global levels.
3 .Enhancing the availability and production of indigenous resources, material and research related to the role of CSOs in the Arab region.
ANND’s program tools and strategies include: networking, capacity building and information and experience sharing, provision of resources including research and information material, advocacy strengthening, coalition building, monitoring, evaluation, and engagement with policy-making processes and related institutions among civil society groups.
The Arab NGOs Network for Development is an independent, democratic, and civic organization that aims at strengthening civil society and enhancing the values of democracy and respect of Human Rights and sustainable development in the Arab region. It works towards its aim through programs of advocacy and lobbying on regional and national policy-making in three main areas; development, trade, and democracy, while being committed to the international convention on Human Rights, freedom, respect of the individual, respect of diversity, equality of resource division, and the protection of cultural heritage in the Region and the implementing the developmental priorities of the local societies.
The Arab NGO Network envisions democratic, active, and effective civil societies in the Arab Region. These societies would be able to affect public policies, and would be open and interactive with other cultures and societies. These societies respect and protect the dignity and freedom of the individual and their political, social, economic, civic, and cultural rights, within a state of law and institutions, where peace, security, and stability are prosperous.
The internal vision of the Network is based on responding to the challenges and changes on the regional and global levels, whereby it aims at establishing a special presence and effective and active positions regarding decision-making locally, regionally, and globally. ANND works to preserve a democratic, flexible, growing, and developing body that encompasses Arab non-governmental organizations working in the fields of social and human development, democracy, human rights, and the environment. ANND is committed towards implementing the values of good governance and the development of best-practices models for capacity building and institutional structuring.
1. Endearing to promote the vitality of civil society to enhance the values of democracy, respect of human rights, justice and sustainable development.
2. Emphasizing democratic ownership by representing all people through a non-discriminatory and human rights-based approach. Recognizing the need for diverse justice, including gender justice and justice for people with disabilities.
3. Striving to best represent member CSOs and NGOs and to provide exemplary leadership advice. Opening channels of influence for members on the national, regional and global levels.
4. Remaining receptive and responsive to feedback, particularly from citizens, member organizations, and networks that ANND is part of.
5. Ensuring informed decision-making grounded in sound knowledge and professional research.
6. Focusing on the dissemination of actionable recommendations and information.
7. Ensuring accountability; displaying honesty and transparency in all relationships and activities. Accordingly, seeking and accepting funding with integrity.
8. Committing to effectiveness and efficiency, with attention to improving practices, performance, sustainability and services.
9. For the ANND team and all those it works with, cultivating esprit de corps and fostering an enriched, productive environment.
10. Operating with ongoing management of environmental impacts to a high standard in sustainability practices.